The Sheikh Zayed Book Award announced yesterday its long-list for both categories; “Young Author” and “Children’s Literature”. The announcement comes after the Award’s Reading Panels concluded their work earlier this month.
The Sheikh Zayed Book Award also recognises authors in seven additional categories. The longlist works of each category will be further judged by a panel of professionals who will compile a shortlist for each category. The winners in each category will each receive Dhs750,000 cash prize (total prize money for all categories stands at 7 million UAE dirhams), a certificate of merit as well as a gold medal. Winners will be announced in March, ahead of the Abu Dhabi International Book Fair.
Last year, Jawdat Fakhr-elDine from Lebanon won the “Children’s Literature” title for his book “Thirty Poems for Children” (top left), while Rami Abu Shihab from Jordan (top right) was named winner of “Young Author” Award for his book analysing the Post-Colonial discourse in the contemporary Arab criticism.
The books in the children's literature (including adolescents’ books):
1. Al fatat allati iqtafat aathar shakhsyyat Ibn Al Muqaffa’ (The girl who traced the characters of Ibn Al Muqaffa’) by Nabiha Mheidli, Lebanon, Dar Al Hada’eq (2014)
2. Al Samaka Al Mufakkir (The Thinking Fish) by Hassan Abdalla, Lebanon, Dar Al Adab (2013)
3. Khalf al Abwab al Mughlaqa (Behind Closed Doors) by Samah Idris, Lebanon, Dar Al Adab (2014)
4. Qit shaqi jiddan (A Very Mischievous Cat) by Abeer Al Taher, Jordan, Dar Al Yasmeen (2014)
5. Sitt al Koll by Taghreed Al Najjar, Jordan, Al Salwa Books (2013)
6. Qissitna Sarat mathal (Our Story Turned Into a Proverb) by Talal Hasan, Iraq, Dar Al Buraq (2014)
7. Waraqet al Hayat (The leaf of life) by Amira Al Marzouqi, UAE, Dar Al Alam Al Arabi (2014)
8. Wajaddtu Baytan (I found a home) by Sahar Abdallah, Egypt, Dar Al Maktabah Al Arabiya (2014)
The “Young Author” longlist:
1. Al Raheel (Migration) by Mohammed Hasan Alwan, KSA, Dar Al Saqi (2014)
2. Balaghat Al ‘aqel Al ‘arabi (The Intellect of the Arab Mind) by Mohammed Al Dakkan, KSA, Arab Cultural Center (2014)
3. Sharq Al Da’iri (East Ring Road) Novel by Khaled Ahmed, Egypt, Dar Al Masri (2014)
4. Al aja’ibi fil Sard Al Arabi Al Qadeem (The Magic in ancient Arabic Tales) by Nabil Elshahed, Egypt, Dar Al Warraq (2012)
5. Sani’ Al Ala’ab (The Playmaker) by Ahmad Mohsen, Lebanon, Nofal- Hachette Antoine (2013)
6. Burkini (Burkini) by Maya Al Hajj, Lebanon, Al IKhitlaf (Algeria); Dhifaf (KSA) (2014)
7. Harakyyet Al Badee’ fil Khitab Al Shi’ri (Aesthetics of Poetic Discourse) by Said Laouadi, Morocco, Kunouz Al Ma’rifa (2014)
8. Manzilat Al Tamtheel fi falsafat Ibn Rushd (Representation in Ibn Rushd’s Philosophy) by Fouad Ben Ahmed, Morocco, Dar Dhifaf (2014)
9. Krakato (Krakato) by Muhra Bint Ahmad, UAE, Al Dar Al Arabiya Lil Oloum (2013)